By Destiny Malone
We just learned that Facebook is going to be launching a new system within the week that will let you reserve a Facebook username for your account. So now instead of being identified as user 123456789 you can be identified as “your.name” or “YourName” – or even “coolguy123″!
Here is the illustration they gave:
No doubt, this will also help your public profile get found in the search engines because, as you know, SEO is all about targeting keywords!
But Wait… That’s Not All!
You can also reserve custom usernames for your Facebook PAGES. This is particularly useful for businesses on Facebook. You can then print this custom (easy-to-remember) url on your business cards, website, marketing materials, you name it. PLUS it will help your page get found more easily in the search engines by choosing relevant keywords for your Facebook username.
When Is This Happening?
Early bird gets the worm, so make sure you reserve your Facebook username as soon as you can! They are making this available at 12:01 am EDT on Saturday, June 13, 2009.
Things To Keep In Mind…
- Usernames are PERMANENT and cannot be changed (so double check your spelling)
- You can use letters, numbers and a period to create your custom Facebook username
- If you want to reserve a popular Facebook username (ie. John.Smith), reserve early!
- Trademarks and Copyrights can be protected or reported
- You must be an administrator and have over 1,000 fans of your Facebook page in order to reserve a username
Get More Info On Facebook Usernames
- Facebook Blog Announces Usernames Coming – http://blog.facebook.com/blog.php?post=90316352130
- Facebook Blog Elaborates On Usernames For Pages – http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=91106469821&ref=blog
- WHERE TO RESERVE YOUR FACEBOOK USERNAME! http://www.facebook.com/username
Don’t have a Facebook page? We can help set one up for you! Give Sarah Lamansky a call to discuss the details: Toll Free – (888) 395-9035